"Immaculate Heart of Mary School promotes the development of Catholic faith in an environment where students respect self and others. With these convictions, we instruct our students by our words and actions."
history of the School
Immaculate Heart of Mary School promotes the development of Catholic faith in an environment where students respect self and others. With these convictions, we instruct our students by our words and actions.
Shortly after founding the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in approximately 1878 the Holy Ghost Fathers had a school built. The original structure was a two-story log building with two classrooms on the ground floor and living quarters for the priest on the second floor. Lay women were the first teachers and by 1884 there were 83 students in the school. In 1924 the Blue Hill School was built with grades primary through the eighth grade. Three grades were taught in each classroom. Benedictine Sisters from the St. Scholastica Convent in Fort Smith were sent to run the school. In 1927 the Pulaski County School District took control of the school, thereby making it a public school. The nuns were paid their salaries by the District. Father Charles Hertel would post a watch at the end of Blue Hill Road to watch for District personnel so that Religion classes could be taught.
The 1953 Blue Hill School withdrew from the District and once again became a parochial school. Under the guidance of Very Rev. Msgr. Thomas J. Prendergast, a larger school was built and dedicated in 1960.
A new addition was built in 1991, adding three classrooms and a library. Enrollment has continued to increase and another addition had to be made. The Parish Life Center, was added giving more classrooms, a cafeteria, and a gymnasium in 1998.
The Immaculate Heart of Mary School continues to offer a sound, fundamental education with an emphasis on Christian principles while expanding to meet ever changing educational needs.