Welcome to IHM!
Founded in 1878 by THE HOLY GHOST FATHERS SHORTLY AFTER IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY CHURCH WAS BUILT.
The original structure was a two-story log building with two classrooms on the ground floor and living quarters for the priest on the second floor. Lay women were the first teachers and by 1884 there were 83 students in the school. In 1924 the Blue Hill School was built with grades primary through the eighth grade. Three grades were taught in each classroom. Benedictine Sisters from the St. Scholastica Convent in Fort Smith were sent to run the school. In 1927 the Pulaski County School District took control of the school, thereby making it a public school. The nuns were paid their salaries by the District. Father Charles Hertel would post a watch at the end of Blue Hill Road to watch for District personnel so that Religion classes could be taught.